Monday, February 23, 2015

Knitting up a Viajante

I have been toying with the idea of knitting Viajante for a long time. I am not a tall person and I was concerned that the point would be dragging on the ground. Enter Renata8, a friend from Green Planet Yarn. She knit Viajante using MadelineTosh Prairie. I tried her's on and I loved it. I decided to knit one up using Renata's Viajante as a guide. We measured here gauge of 28 stitches / 4" and 32 rows / 4". US 5 (3.75 mm) needles get that stitch gauge. My row gauge however is 36 rows / 4". If it comes out a bit shorter thats ok by me.

I started knitting viajante per the pattern instructions, using a needle size one smaller than used for the body, a US 4 (3.5 mm) needle. There was a lot of controversy over the increase method used in the pattern, so I tested it out. I didn't like it and i ripped back and started again. I knit my triangle as follows: R3: KFB, K to 1 before M, KFB, SM, KFB, K to 1 before end, KFB; R4: K *. I knit about halfway through the triangle. I measured it and discovered that it would be too small. I ripped back again and knit the triangle using a US 5 (3.75 mm) needle.

I started the body. Again, I needed to make some changes. I didn't like the way the two decrease stitches met, so I added a stitch between the SSK & K2tog. I also continued with my changed increase and knit the body as follows:

Round 1: Join to work in the round, k to 1 stitch before M, KFB, SM, KFB, slm, k to end of round, PM, M1, PM. (the M1 is a standard M1 and it is an extra stitch that I will have to deal with later).
Round 2: SM, SSK, K to 1 before M, KFB, SM, KFB, K to 2 before M, K2tog, SM, K1.
Round 3: SM, K to 1 before M, KFB, SM, KFB, K to M, SM, K1.

There is a lot of knitting here. The "tube-o-doom" (nickname fondly used while knitting), just keeps growing. I knit 253 rounds of stockinette before starting the netting. I stopped a little before 20% yarn remaining. I figured I'd make it up in the netting section.

I completed the netting section with 10 repeats + 1 repeat of rounds 1 to 3, 475 stitches on the neefles and 5.6 grams remaining. I bound off using a US 7 (4.5 mm) needle with the k2tog tbl bind off.

I have to say, I really like the results.

I now want to knit another one. I'm hoping to use Miss Babs Katadin or Kiliminjaro in the Berlin colorway. This yarn is a substantially different weight than MadelineTosh Prairie. This will present some challenges in getting a good fit. I think I'm up for the challenge.


Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. The "Viajante" pattern copyright by Martina Behm. .

No comments:

Post a Comment