Monday, February 16, 2015

Getting Ready for Stitches West

Stitches West opens this week at the Santa Clara Convention Center, so its time to get ready. I am taking 5 classes this year, three of which requires homework in addition to supplies.

I have no classes on Thursday, but I'm planning on showing up for the market opening. If you take classes, the Thursday night market opening is for you. I need to carefully plan my purchases so I can stay within the restrictions of my Social Experiment. My first step is to acquire "The Map". What is the map? Well every year Erinofthemap takes this stitches floor map and instead of numbers, places the vendors names on the map. This makes it very easy to make a plan. I downloaded the map for my ipad. I've highlighted my choices.

My first stop this year is Miss Babs. I want to buy a skein of Kilaminjaro or Katadin to knit up a second Viajante (more on my first Viajante later). I also want to check out White Birch Fiber Arts. I have seen their store online and was immediately attracted to their self-striping yarn. I missed Apple Tree Knits last year, so I want to take a look at their gradient yarns this year. My final targeted stop is Dragonfly Fibers. I saw a beautiful skein at my Tuesday knitting meetup, so I want to take a look. I am also looking for a skein of silk in a color similar to MadelineTosh Gossamer. I will keep an eye out. If I don't see anything, I will just order the skein from my LYS.

That covers the direct yarn purchases. I also plan on visiting weaving oriented booths, such as the mannings. I will visit hiya hiya and pickup some sock needles and knitters safety pins. I'll stop at knitifacts to pick up some markers and slipped stitch studios to look at their project bags.

If you want your own map, various versions can be accessed from this ravelry post.

My class prep includes:

  • Surprisingly Special Techniques with Anna Zilboorg. I just need some yarn, so I'll grab a ball of cascade 220.
  • Introduction to Double Knitting with Alasdair Post-Quinn. I need two colors of yarn. I'll grab a couple of cascade 220 balls for this one.
  • Zip Me Up! with Michelle Hunter.I knit a 7" swatch for this class and had to pick up a zipper, thread and needles.
  • Steeking:3 ways with Janel Laidman.I knit a swatch in the round for this one.
  • Demystifying Set-in Sleeves with Margaret Fisher. I knit several swatches for this class. My concern is that the instructor was very specific about gauge. Gauge doesn't really matter for swatches.
  • I'll report on my experiences after stitches. Who knows, maybe I'll tweet! (You can find me at pwknits on twitter)


    Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

    Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. .

    No comments:

    Post a Comment