Monday, November 17, 2014

Knitting a Pair of Simple Mitts

I wanted a pair of Halloween socks. I knit like mad to finish them before Halloween. Once complete I realized that I had enough yarn for a pair of matching mitts. So, I added this to my Halloween knitting. In order to insure I would complete them by Halloween, I created a simple pattern with a ribbed cuff at my wrist, in other words, they are short. I knit these using Canon Hand Dyes "Double Double Toil & Trouble" for the hand and MadelineTosh Sock "Curiosity" for the cuffs. I chose to knit these with US 1.0 (2.25mm) needles as I have small hands. The size can easily be increased by using a US 1.5 (2.5mm) or a US 2.0 (2.75mm) needle. My gauge using a US 1.0 (2.25mm) needle is 9 stitches / inch for these mitts.

Here's how I did it:

Cast on 52 stitches using German twisted cast on. Join to work in the round. Knit 16 rounds 2x2 rib
Change colors and knit 4 rounds stockinette.
Gusset Setup: K25, PM, M1R, K1, M1L, PM, K to end of round. Round 1: Knit to end of round; Round 2: K25, SM, M1R, K to marker, M1L, SM, K to end of round. Repeat rounds 1 & 2 until thumb contains 25 stitches.
Knit 4 rounds
K25, move thumb stitches to a holder, K26
K25, M1, K26. The hand now has 52 stitches. Knit 12 rounds stockinette or to your desired length. Change color. Knit 10 rounds 2x2 rib. Bind off using Jenny's Super Stretchy Bind Off, in pattern. Put thumb stitches back on needles. Using hand color, starting at inside of thumb, M1, K to end M1, M1. Stitch count is now 28 (divisible by 4). Knit 1 more round in stockinette or to your desired length. Switch colors and knit 6 rounds in 2x2 rib. Bind off using Jeny's Super Stretchy Bind Off.

You can see my mitts at Double Double Mitts Too and my Halloween socks at


Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. .

No comments:

Post a Comment