Monday, September 22, 2014

I'm Branching Out

I've been toying with the idea of buying a loom for some time. I've always admired the wonderful woven fabrics that show up in higher-end craft fairs. I have also admired the speed with which a simple project could be completed -- and I have plenty of yarn to use!! (See my social experiment posts.)

So, I picked up a Schacht Flip 15" rigid heddle loom back at the start of my social experiment. While there are limits to a rigid heddle loom, the rigid heddle loom has one really big advantage. The loom is easy to warp. In order to determine if I like weaving, I need the simpler start. If I get so addicted to it that I want a shafted loom, I'll be ready for the warping complexities involved.

Why did I pick the flip over other models?

  • It folds in half, even while warped for easy portability
  • It supports 2 heddles without accessories
  • Its well constructed and beautifully finished
  • A mini class came with the loom purchase (from Purlescence Yarns, the LYS where I purchased the loom). The class covered the basics, making sure that the loom was correctly assembled, warping and laying down weft. I started with a skein of sock yarn. I chose a skein of Cascade Heritage Paints in the London colorway. When you choose to weave both warp and weft with a handpainted yarn, you end up with a plaiding effect which depends on the length of the color runs. The unintentional plaid can be quite attractive.

    I plan on taking more weaving classes so I can master the basics and whip out those scarves! (I wonder how long I'll be satisfied with scarves?) I signed up for the intro series, a 6-class series which started in September.


    Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

    Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. .

    No comments:

    Post a Comment