Monday, August 4, 2014

Social Experiment Progress Report

Its been four months since I've started the stash reduction social experiment so how am I doing? I have to say, I have been doing pretty good. Almost immediately, I noticed a change in my attitude towards purchasing yarn. In addition 2 additional people have joined the social experiment with their own rules. The more the merrier! We help keep each other honest with respect to our own rules. My desire to purchase new yarn has reduced dramatically. The amount of yarn I've put up for sale has increased substantially. So where do I stand?

Available Yardage (based on my rules)

KnittedSoldSwapped OutPurchasedStill Available!!
4852.921335.61616.2634754329.78

Preemptive Listing of Yarn For Sale

I have listed quite a bit of yarn for sale on Ravelry, but I haven't used any of this yarn to compensate for purchases.
Preemptive ListedPurchased
12682.050

Legal Purchases Not Requiring Compensation

  • 4 skeins sock yarn out of 8 currently available to me. I'm sure I could purchase more skeins, but I just started recording the sock yarn shipments recently. Without the record, I have no way of knowing what is legal to purchase and I don't want to purchase 2 skeins for every shipment. I want to be strategic about the yarn I purchase.
  • 2 skeins for a gift.
  • Rule Modifications

    Over the last 4 months, I have added to or modified my rules as follows:
  • Does gift yarn count? If I receive a skein of yarn as a gift for a reason - birthday, reward for helping someone, etc., then it doesn't count. If the gift consists of more than one skein, then it counts 2:1.
  • Can I trade yarn? Yes. An equivalent yardage trade doesn't count. If the yardage difference is too great, greater than 25%-35% difference, then the difference counts 2:1.
  • Can I "borrow" yarn? If I need a small amount of a color, then I can borrow what I need. It won't count as long as I return the left over yarn and I can't count the knitted amount in my knitted totals.
  • If someone requests a knitted item or I need to make a knitted gift, I will try to use yarn that I have. If not, I can buy a skein to do the job. The yarn doesn't count against me and can't be counted as a finished project in my counts. I can count yarn leftover from the project as long as its less than a skein
  • Discontinued Yarns. If a yarn that I use and love is discontinued, I get an exemption to buy several skeins. This must be a yarn I really use and really like to receive the exemption.
  • Special Purpose Yarn Sets. Sometimes there really isn't a choice. You have to buy the yarn the designer used. For example, the Sari Shawl by Kieran Foley. This shawl uses multiple color gradient sets to achieve the affect. To get the effect of the shawl, I will need to purchase the yarn. I will exempt this type of purchase. However I can only purchase one set and must finish the shawl before I can purchase another set for another project.
  • Knitting a yarn I haven't knit with yet. How many times have I bought multiple colorways of a yarn I haven't tried? Well, I'm going to give myself a bonus of 10% for using these yarns. If I like the yarn, great. If I don't it immediately goes up for sale. I have found that the extra 10% is quite a motivator and it has the potential of destashing more quickly
  • Selling yarn that I preemptively put up for sale. If I sell a yarn before its yardage gets used to compensate for a purchase, I get a 10% bonus. The goal here is to put up as much yarn for sale as quickly as possible and not to wait around until I need to put the yarn up for sale with in the rules of this experiment.
  • I'm modifying my LYS Sock Yarn purchase slightly. I'm recording the new sock yarn shipments so I can track how many skeins I can buy. I do not want to rush into buying a skein just because I can when a new shipment arrives. So, I'm allowing delayed purchases based on these counts. My goal as always, is not to buy yarn unnecessarily, so this fits with my goals.
  • To the Future

    Am I going to continue with the experiment? You bet!! Its been very successful so far. I have much more yarn to put up for sale and more yarn to swap. I have many yarns in my stash that I haven't tried yet and many projects to knit.

    Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry .

    No comments:

    Post a Comment