Monday, August 18, 2014

Bonk! Bonk!

A knitting friend of mine from Green Planet Yarn is having a baby. I have so few opportunities to make cute baby items, so I'm going all out. The baby's "theme" is a forest in colors of green, blue and brown. But we can't forget monsters!

A while back, I saw the Bonk! monster pattern go by on Ravelry. Its the perfect monster for the forest (because of the ears). In support of my LYS, I picked up 2 skeins of Plymouth Worsted Merino Superwash - one "regular" and one "handpaint". Initially my goal was to knit one monster, but then it occurred to me that I had enough yarn for two monsters. So, I'm making inverse twin monsters.

So, here goes.

The monster starts with Judy's Magic cast on. I'm using US 5 (3.75mm) needles to keep the fabric dense. The body is easy enough and pretty straight forward; a few increases and decreases to shape the head. Otherwise, its straight stockinette.
The stitches are split in half and the leg is knit. At this point, the monster is stuffed and set aside as this is when you need to add the face, especially if you are using safety eyes.
The face is a simple shape, knit in the contrasting color. I left a long tail on the cast on edge and a long tail at the bind off edge for use when stitching the face to the body.
After a little research, I discovered that safety eyes aren't safe enough for babies. So I decided to duplicate stitch the eyes. (yes, this is the face for the second bonk! I forgot to take a picture of the first one.)
The top of the head has roughly the same shape as the face. The face is placed so that it is roughly centered in the same shape portion of the head. The face is whip stitched on, using my yarn tails, following a line of stitches along the bottom. The second leg is knit and stuffing is complete.
Time for the arms. Again, I cast on with Judy's magic cast on. After a few rounds, I wove in the starting end and tightened up any stitches that were too open. The paw is stuffed, before completing the arm. Before attaching to the monster, I whip stitched the end closed to make it easier to attach.
The ears are knit, pressed and whip stitched close.
The ears are folded over and tacked. I marked the center stitch and then brought the corner of the ear 2 stitches past the center and tacked it. Turn the second ear around and fold it the other direction. This diagram illustrates the process. (Click on the diagram to enlarge)
Ears are tacked down, with the folds to the center. The arms are tacked down, so that the top of the arms visually aligns with the bottom of the face. Weave in all ends.

All and all this is a fun knit and a well written pattern. Try one for yourself.

My project can be found on Ravelry at Forest Sprites. There won't be a lot of information or pictures on the project page until mid-October -- after the shower.


Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. "Bonk!" pattern copyright by Susan Claudino..

No comments:

Post a Comment