Monday, July 7, 2014

Its Smaller on the Outside

Are you a Doctor Who fan? Need a pair of Tardis Socks? A designer friend of mine, Audry Nicklin, just issued her Police Box Sox pattern.

I had the perfect color of blue sock yarn in my stash; London Blue in Baah! LaJolla, one of my favorite yarns to knit with. I matched the twist of La Jolla with some Koigu KPM in black and white.
I am test knitting the small size. I start with 2 US 1.5 (2.5 mm) circular needles. I typically use this size needle for the legs of my socks.
I continued with my US 1.5 (2.5 mm) needles until the start of the black band. Here I switched up to US 2.0 (2.75 mm) needles. I switched up to add a bit more size to the first stranded section, since it is close to the cuff. (I normally knit the top of a stranded sock leg using this size.) This sock is interesting in that the designer chose to increase to a larger number of stitches for stranded sections of the socks. I typically have to knit the large size in stranded socks because I need the larger number stitches to account for lack of stretch in stranded knitwear. This pattern accounts for that issue in the design.

At the end of the black band, I switched back to the US 1.5 (2.5 mm) needles.

After one repeat of the second chart. Leg is 5 1/4" long at this point.
Complete second repeat. I decided to stop at 2 repeats, since the leg is a perfect fit at this height. Leg length is 6 1/4".
Complete the heel flap. I dropped needles sizes one more time since I find the heel flap slip stitch edge works best when knit using a US 1.0 (2.25 mm) needle. When I knit a heel stitch heel flap using a US 1.5 (2.50 mm) needle, the slip stitch is a bit loose and pulls when you pick up and knit along that edge, leaving a small gap.
Turn the heel.
Complete the gusset.
Complete the foot portion of the sock. I'm still on a US 1.0 (2.25 mm) needle.
Complete the toe. Complete the second sock.
The completed socks.
Details on my sock can be found at Smaller on the Outside. The pattern is free and can be found at Police Box Sox


Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. "Police Box Sox" pattern copyright by Audry Nicklin..

No comments:

Post a Comment