Monday, March 10, 2014

Knitting Shops in Melbourne, Australia

While I was in Australia, I was lucky enough to visit quite a few yarn/craft stores. This is a quick overview of the shops I visited.

Morris & Sons, Collins Street, Melbourne
This was the first shop i stopped at upon arrival to Melbourne. It was two doors down from my hotel. The shop carried its own brand yarn (Morris & Sons) as well as many brands that can be purchased in the US: Debbie Bliss, Schoppel-Wolle, Noro, Pony, and Knitpicks to name a few. This was the only shop that carried yarns containing alternate fibers. I found Yak, Camel and Angora. They also carried a lovely, but expensive french hand-dyed angora yarn. The shop had one of the best collections of zauberballs that I've seen in a single shop. In addition to yarn, the shop carried a nice selection of embroidery supplies.
Yarn & Co, Fitzroy, Melbourne
Yarn & Co was a pleasant little shop in the Fitzroy section of Melbourne. Fitzroy is a hip, funky neighborhood that is worth a visit. It also has 2 yarn shops! This shop carried Cascade, Patons, Koigu, Jo Sharp, Checkheaton, and Manos. The shops demographics leans towards Bulky Yarn. Great for them; not so great for me. I like knitting fingering and lace weight yarns. I did pick up a couple of gift skeins for my sister-in-law.
 
Precious Purls, Fitzroy, Melbourne
Don't bother trying to find this one. It was a popup shop that is no longer there. Too bad, I was looking forward to this one. The web site needs updating!
 
Beautiful Silks, Fitzroy, Melbourne
This was one of my favorite shops. It was a bit quirky, but had the most unique selection of yarns and fibers. The shop had a wonderful collection of dyeable silk fibers in different, plys, weights and textures. It was tempting, but I don't dye my own yarn at this point. The shop also carried a large selection of sari silk yarns, some local hand-dyed wools, fiber for spinning and dyeing supplies. I picked up my only skein of fingering weight hand-dyed yarn here as well as a couple of gift skeins.
Wool Baa, Melbourne
Wool Baa is another nice little shop in the Albert Park section of Melbourne. The shop carried Katia, Patons, Lisa Harding, Noro, Checkheaton (Australian brand), Aslan Trends, Ella Rae, Debbie Bliss, Filatura Di Crosa, Jo Sharp, & Sublime. The shop also had a wonderful hand-dyed thick-thin super bulky yarn. Even though I don't normally knit yarn like this, I regret not buying a skein.
Lincraft, Collins Street, Melbourne
Lincraft is like Joann's on steroids. They have a more extensive yarn collection than Michaels or Joann's, including Patons, Panda, Shepherd, Checkheaton, Creeative Basics as well as their own brand. They have a good amount of novelty yarn along with some basic yarns. Add to this a full selection of craft supplies for various crafts and fabrics. You get the idea.
Clegs, Elizabeth St., Melbourne
Clegs isn't really a yarn store, its a fabric store with wonderful fabrics, but also a decent yarn stock. They carry Patons, Katia, Filatura Di Crosa, Misti Alpaca, Aslan Trends, Panda, Poems & Rowan.

I enjoyed visiting all of the different yarn shops. For my style of knitting, (small weight, hand-dyed yarns), there wasn't a lot to offer. We are really lucky here in the bay area to have such a wonderful choice of hand-dyed yarns in our local shops.


Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits..

No comments:

Post a Comment