Monday, November 18, 2013

Maintaining Tension when Stranding between 2 Circular Needles.

I love knitting stranded socks. I knit my socks using 2 circular needles and have had an issue of getting appropriate tension when moving from one needle to another. One trick that I discovered was to catch the float just before and just after changing needles. This technique helps but I still had tension problems. Then by accident, I discovered a solution that works pretty consistently.

To insure a clean float at the join, I wrap the “back” needle to the front, positioning the stitches as if they are on the “front” needle. This allows me to stretch the stitches and lay the float correctly.

Here's how its done:

This is the most important step. You hold the cord from the back needle (B) parallel and in front of the front needle (A). Spread the stitches in the same manner that you would for a float in the middle of the needles.
Maintain the position of the back and front needle and knit into the stitch. My next stitch is green in this example and I need to catch the yellow yarn. If you need a catch do it now.
Bring the yarn around the needle to form the stitch, maintaining the position of the front and back needles.
Knit the stitch, maintaining the front and back needle position.
The finished stitch. I typically continue to maintain the position of the front and back needles through a few more stitches before releasing the back needle.

This may take a little practice but it will help maintain a more consistent tension when moving between needles.


Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits.

No comments:

Post a Comment