Thursday, October 31, 2013

Lesson Learned and Learned Again....

How many times to do we need to relearn lessons? Apparently, over and over again, at least for me. I have been looking forward to knitting the Longfellow by Corrina Ferguson for a while. I was so ready to start knitting another lace project, that I dove in head first. Had I read the completed project comments in Ravelry, I would have delayed that dive a bit. For those of us in the tight knitters club, the cast on for this shawl is way too tight. This proved to be true for me in that I snapped the yarn in the cast on edge when blocking the shawl. So I had to pick out the bind off and transfer the live stitches to needles.

The issue with the start of this shawl is that a number of stitches are cast on with a larger needle, using the long-tailed cast on and then with a smaller needle, you do a KYOK into each cast on stitch. This technique creates a nice effect, but isn't very stretchy. Casting on with a larger needle doesn't insure stretchiness.

I picked out the cast on stitches, maintaining enough yarn to weave in, using my 40-inch 000 needle to pickup the stitches. The stitches on my needle are the stitches from the first row. I then bound off these stitches with the elastic bind off and a US 7 needle. The elastic bind off is quite simple. You *knit the first 2 stitches together through the back loop. Slip the stitch back to the source needle, purl-wise.* Repeat from * to * until complete. Don't pull tight!!!

I would like to knit this pattern again -- with a smooth yarn so that I can rip out the cast on and starting section if necessary. I have a couple of ideas that might work:

  • The simplest solution is to cast on the full 3 times the cast on number of stitches. While this is the easiest, it doesn't maintain the designer's intent.
  • Use a cast on with more stretch than the long-tailed cast on. If there is enough stretch in the cast on I can maintain the designers intent.
  • Consciously leave space between the cast on stitches. Don't tighten up the spacing. This would also maintain the designer's intent.

    Details of this project can be found at Fireside. The end results are quite lovely.


    Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

    Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. Pattern is copyright by Corrina Ferguson

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment