To reduce the stitch count and still maintain the pattern, I started the chart at stitch 3 and stopped with stitch 35. This removed 4 stitches from the pattern repeat and 8 stitches from the sock circumference. I worked the cuff as specified and completed the "work once" section. Since I like a shorter sock, I repeated the main pattern section 4 times instead of the specified 6.
The heel flap also required some adjustments. I started with stitch 3 and ended with stitch 34.
Stitch 35 was moved around to the instep. I adjusted the pattern to do the first slip stitch in the correct location. The heel flap was worked using a US 1.5 needle. Next time I'd use a US 1.0 for the heel flap. The US 1.5 needle resulted in a very long heel flap with a very open chain edge. I stopped after 34 rows.
I couldn't follow the heel turn directions, so the heel was turned turned using the following:
Row 1 (RS): SL 1 wyib, K 18 stitches, SSK, K1; turn.
Repeat rows 3 & 4 until all stitches have been worked. I have 18 stitches upon completion.
17 stitches were picked up & knit along the side of the heel flap and then an additional stitch was picked up using the PU2 & K2tog tbl gap pickup technique, row 1 of the chart was knit and the other gusset picked up using the same techniques as the first side of the heel flap. After completing one instep chart repeat, I reduced my needle size to a US 1.0 (2.25 mm) and completed the gusset.
The foot of the sock took 3.9 repeats. I stopped with row 9, instead of row 10. Row 10 is essentially a "knit" row in terms of how it interacts with the main pattern repeat. My goal was to minimize the need for extra stockinette.
This is the first time knitting a short row toe, so I threaded a lifeline at the end of the foot. I chose to start the toe on the top of the foot, rather than the bottom of the foot, since I didn't want a ridge on the top of my toe. I followed the pattern, adjusting for my reduced stitch count, trying on the the sock at intervals. The toe fit me at the 8th repeat of the "row 3 & 4" repeat. I turned the toe, again following the pattern, stopping with a wrong side row. However, stopping with a wrong side row did not result in a correct setup to Kitchener the toe. I knit another row, ending on the right side for the correct setup, and Kitchenered the toe closed.
Overall, I liked this sock. I would however, make two changes.
Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. Pattern copyright by Ann Budd