Monday, October 14, 2013

Fourteen Down, Three to Go

Well I've completed the Mock Cables and Lace Sock, 14 socks complete! I chose to use Pagewood Farms Glacier Bay in colorway "Daffodil" for this sock. The sock called for US 3.0 (3.25mm) needles and a cast on of 74 stitches with a light fingering yarn. Even with my tight knitting, the sock would be way too big for my foot, so I made some modifications to the pattern. I started with US 1.5 (2.5mm) needles and cast on 66 stitches using the German Twisted Cast On. I first tried the specified cast on, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of keeping an accurate count to get the knit/purl direction correct.

To reduce the stitch count and still maintain the pattern, I started the chart at stitch 3 and stopped with stitch 35. This removed 4 stitches from the pattern repeat and 8 stitches from the sock circumference. I worked the cuff as specified and completed the "work once" section. Since I like a shorter sock, I repeated the main pattern section 4 times instead of the specified 6.

The heel flap also required some adjustments. I started with stitch 3 and ended with stitch 34.

Stitch 35 was moved around to the instep. I adjusted the pattern to do the first slip stitch in the correct location. The heel flap was worked using a US 1.5 needle. Next time I'd use a US 1.0 for the heel flap. The US 1.5 needle resulted in a very long heel flap with a very open chain edge. I stopped after 34 rows.

I couldn't follow the heel turn directions, so the heel was turned turned using the following:

Row 1 (RS): SL 1 wyib, K 18 stitches, SSK, K1; turn.
Row 2 (WS): SL 1 wyif, P 7 stitches, P2tog, P1; turn.
Row 3(RS): SL 1 wyib, K to 1 stitch before gap created by turn on previous row, SSK (1 stitch before gap and 1 stitch after gap), K1; turn.
Row 4(WS): SL1 wyif, P to 1 stitch before gap created by turn on previous row, P2tog (1 stitch before gap and 1 stitch after gap), P1; turn.

Repeat rows 3 & 4 until all stitches have been worked. I have 18 stitches upon completion.

17 stitches were picked up & knit along the side of the heel flap and then an additional stitch was picked up using the PU2 & K2tog tbl gap pickup technique, row 1 of the chart was knit and the other gusset picked up using the same techniques as the first side of the heel flap. After completing one instep chart repeat, I reduced my needle size to a US 1.0 (2.25 mm) and completed the gusset.

The foot of the sock took 3.9 repeats. I stopped with row 9, instead of row 10. Row 10 is essentially a "knit" row in terms of how it interacts with the main pattern repeat. My goal was to minimize the need for extra stockinette.

This is the first time knitting a short row toe, so I threaded a lifeline at the end of the foot. I chose to start the toe on the top of the foot, rather than the bottom of the foot, since I didn't want a ridge on the top of my toe. I followed the pattern, adjusting for my reduced stitch count, trying on the the sock at intervals. The toe fit me at the 8th repeat of the "row 3 & 4" repeat. I turned the toe, again following the pattern, stopping with a wrong side row. However, stopping with a wrong side row did not result in a correct setup to Kitchener the toe. I knit another row, ending on the right side for the correct setup, and Kitchenered the toe closed.

Overall, I liked this sock. I would however, make two changes.

  1. I would knit a standard heel trying to maintain the mock cable between the heel stitch panels.
  2. I would knit a standard toe. The short row toe requires a large Kitchener graft and did not completely close at the short rows, requiring me to weave in yarn after the fact to close the holes.
 


Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry;

Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits. Pattern copyright by Ann Budd

No comments:

Post a Comment