Friday, March 2, 2012

Trouble with Oeste

The February Stephen West Shawl is "Oeste". In an earlier post, I selected 3 yarns that I might use. I finally decided upon Malabrigo "Chocolate Amargo" and "Primavera".

When the pattern arrived I was not a happy camper. I really didn't like the pattern. I started knitting the first triangle anyway. I liked the color combination, but still, didn't like the pattern. It was such a waste to use these two colors on a shawl I really don't like. So, I'm not doing the shawl. Life is too short to knit something you really don't like.

Ok, Ok, I know, this seems to contradict what I said earlier about "Sharktooth". Sharktooth presented me with some interesting knitting. I learned how to do the picot bind off and how to modify the back of the shawl so that it had some detail. Oeste doesn't provide me with any of these things. Oeste requires the knitter to knit and bind off seven triangles, then knit the back piece. The final shawl/scarf is created by sewing together the pieces - no interesting new techniques here.

While I'm not planning on knitting this shawl, I know a couple people who are knitting it. Once I see the finished product I might change my mind. In the meantime, I need to figure out what to do with these lovely yarns, another Chadwick maybe?

 

Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry.


Photos copyright Prairie Willow Knits

No comments:

Post a Comment