Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Knitting up a Holden

I needed a break from knitting socks, so I decided to knit up a Holden. I had the pattern in my queue along with my target yarn, Malabrigo Sock.

As I do with most my knitting, I skimmed through the pattern and poked around on Ravelry to see what other people had done. One of the interesting things mentioned had to do with an oddity in the pattern repeats. On each side of the shawl would be a number of 13 stitch repeats followed by a 15 stitch repeat followed by a number of 13 stitch repeats.

The oddity was that the 15 stitch repeat added 2 border knit stitches to the 13 stitch repeat. So, I decided to only knit the 13 stitch pattern repeats. In addition, I wanted to have more lace than the pattern called for. Here are my modifications. I also modified the SKP into a K2tog TBL. I made this modification because it was quicker for me to knit. Either stitch works. You are free to use these modifications, but the original pattern has some copyright restrictions which still must be observed.

Prairie Willow's Holden Modifications

Follow the first section up to row 5, then repeat rows 4 & 5 30 times.

At this point you will have 3 edge stitches, 65 body stitches, 1 center stitch, 65 body stitches, and 3 edge stitches. Knit the chart as follows: Row 1: K3, Knit a row from the chart for the required number of repeats, K the center stitch, Knit a row from the chart for the required number of repeats, Knit 3; Row 2: Knit 3, purl, Knit 3. Repeat the chart 3 times and then repeat the first 6 rows once more.

For each repeat of the chart, the pattern (red outline) will be repeated on each side as follows:

Chart RepeatPattern Repeats
15
27
39
4 (first 6 rows only)11

Finish off with the picot bind off specified in the pattern. The pattern doesn't mention which bind off stitch to use, so I used the K2tog TBL bind off.

Prairie Willow can be found on Ravelry at noliegirl. Prairie Willow is an avid knitter and jewelry designer. My jewelry can be found at Prairie Willow Jewelry


Photos & charts copyright Prairie Willow Knits; Original Holden pattern copyright Mindy Wilkes

10 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for posting your mods. I would like to try this as I know I haven't enough yarn, plus I would rather have more lace than the plain stockinette stitch.
    This is only my second knitting project, so I'm not sure what the difference is in your table 'chart repeats' and 'pattern repeats'. Do you mean, one whole chart of 25 rows would give you 5 repeats of the pattern?
    Also, I think some words are missing in "For each repeat of the chart, you will the pattern (red outline) will be repeated on each side as follows:"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the best way to explain this is to look at a single row. Assume you are knitting row 1 of the chart, after you have completed the border. The text directions for row 1 of the chart would be as follows: "YO, *K2tog tbl, K11, K2tog* repeat from * to * a total of 5 times, YO". Since the chart is repeated once on each side of the centerline, the full row directions would be "K3, YO, *K2tog tbl, K11 K2tog* repeat from * to * a total of 5 times, YO, K(center), YO, **K2tog tbl, K11, K2tog** repeat from ** to ** 5 times, YO, K3". All 16 rows of the chart would be knit in a similar manner. The pattern calls for repeating the 16 rows of the chart 3 times then repeating the first 6 rows one more time. So the second time you get to row one the pattern text would look like: "K3, YO, *K2tog tbl, K11 K2tog* repeat from * to * a total of 7 times, YO, K(center), YO, **K2tog tbl, K11, K2tog** repeat from ** to ** 7 times, YO, K3". The third repeat of row 1 would look like: "K3, YO, *K2tog tbl, K11 K2tog* repeat from * to * a total of 9 times, YO, K(center), YO, **K2tog tbl, K11, K2tog** repeat from ** to ** 9 times, YO, K3". And finally the 4th repeat (part of the final 6 rows) would be: "K3, YO, *K2tog tbl, K11 K2tog* repeat from * to * a total of 11 times, YO, K(center), YO, **K2tog tbl, K11, K2tog** repeat from ** to ** 11 times, YO, K3".

      You can see how the number of pattern repeats is increased each time you repeat the chart.

      Delete
  2. Ah! Thanks, that makes sense. And thanks for being so quick with your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's me again. Things aren't adding up. The 65 stitches are the pattern part. I think. When I look at the pattern, each repeat is based on 15 original stitches (row 1 and row 6) and it repeats 5 X. So 5 * 15 =75 stitches. Should the chart be based on 13 stitches or 15? Or what am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each repeat is based on a 13 stitch repeat: 5 x 13 = 65 stitches. I see what the issue is. It looks like my chart shows 15 across. Let me revise it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have replaced the chart with the 13 row chart repeat. Try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for posting your mods! I knitted this once, def want to try it with your chart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    Your shawlette is gorgeous! I'm so impressed that you revised this pattern to make it just the way you wanted it. I am brand new to knitting and have just finished this except for the bind off. I would like to add more lace, perhaps one or two more rows with beads. Would I start again at row one of the lace and go to 13? Would I then bind off or do rows 1-6 again? ( of course with more stitches each row). I haven't learned to read a chart yet :(.
    I realize it's been a while since you made this but anything would help me now!
    xox
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to do as many complete repeats as you want, and then finish off with rows 1-6 and a bind off. The pattern calls for a bind off on row 6, which is a purl row. You could also choose to bind off after row 14, which is also a purl row. Mindy Wilkes has released a paid version of this pattern that includes a small, medium and large size. I haven't looked at it so I don't know what other modifications were made, but having a pattern to follow might help.

      Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I have the free version of the pattern but just didn't know what row to start on for a "repeat". I will do rows 1-13 and see what happens!
      xox
      Nancy

      Delete